Holstein UK offers a range of services to the dairy farming industry targeted at improving the genetics and profitability of the Holstein and British Friesian breed.
British Friesians continue to be registered in the herdbook with percentages of Friesian clearly denoted. For general information on British Friesians, please go to the British Friesian Breeders Club Website, or for more information on individual animals please use the Holstein UK Animal data section.
The Holstein website provides the largest and most comprehensive source of independent breeding information in the industry – the pages take you through all the genetic indexes relating to the breed and provide further information on how you can promote and improve the quality of your herd.
Breed societies have traditionally been associated with registering births and ancestry, promoting the breed, and increasing the value of your livestock. But at Holstein UK, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Over the past decade, the Society has built up a portfolio of services designed to improve your breeding decisions along with the quality, profitability and herd-life of your dairy cows.
Today, Holstein UK has around 8,000 members and registers almost 220,000 cattle each year. And both of these figures seem to be stabilising in the face of a contracting dairy industry.
- 2020 UK Annual Statistics
- 2019 UK Annual Statistics
- 2018 UK Annual Statistics
- 2017 UK Annual Statistics
- 2016 UK Annual Statistics
- 2015 UK Annual Statistics
- 2014 UK Annual Statistics
- 2013 UK Annual Statistics
- 2012 UK Annual Statistics
Key facts about Holstein UK
Formed in 1999 from the merger of the Holstein Friesian Society (founded in 1909 as the British Holstein Cattle Society) and the British Holstein Society (founded in 1946).
Holstein UK has representation on key committees and organisations:
- International Committee for Animal Recording (ICAR)
- World Holstein Friesian Federation (WHFF)
- WHFF classifiers’ group
- WHFF committee for electronic standards
- European Holstein Friesian Confederation (Board of Management, Herdbook and Type Evaluation Committee)
- MDC Evaluations (ADC)
- National Cattle Association (NCA)
- British Cattle Breeders Club
- Royal Association of British Dairy Farmers (RABDF)
- DEFRA Health & Welfare
- Electronic identification working group
Holstein UK has close working relationships with:
- AHDB Evaluations (exchange of index, ancestry and type records)
- Ayrshire Cattle Society of Great Britain and Ireland (Holstein UK – developed software and telephone registrations)
- British Belgian Blue Cattle Society (registrations by Holstein UK )
- Brown Swiss Cattle Society (UK) (Type appraisal by Holstein UK)
- Cattle Information Services (wholely owned subsidiary)
- English Guernsey Cattle Society (Holstein UK – developed software, type appraisal and telephone registrations)
- Jersey Cattle Society of the UK (housed at Holstein UK headquarters, use Holstein UK – developed type appraisal system and registrations by Holstein UK)
- National Milk Records (exchange of registration data and milk records through Calflink)
- Royal Jersey Agricultural Society (Holstein UK – developed software)
- United Dairy Farmers – Northern Ireland (exchange of registration data and milk
- European Angus Cattle Registration Co. (Registrations by Holstein UK)
- British Montbeliarde Society (Registrations by Holstein UK)